Generational Change in Three Years Campaign
A donation to Tostan Canada goes directly to Africa and supports Tostan’s Generational Change in 3 Year Campaign.
Momentum is building across West Africa, most notably in the abandonment of harmful practices, the empowerment of girls and women and the promotion of human rights.
Tens of thousands of girls are now able to dream of a life free from violence and strive towards a future filled with knowledge, choice, and opportunity. Thousands of communities are making human dignity a reality across Africa.
The next few years present a rare opportunity to build on current momentum and bring about large-scale change that can transform the region. Tostan will engage another 1,000 communities and transform the lives of 1.6 million people. With your help, Tostan can:
- End Female Genital Cutting in Senegal and expand the movement in West Africa
- Greatly reduce child marriage and reduce violence against women and girls
- Transform education for a generation of parents and children.
In short, we’ve taken our best work and most promising opportunities and created a historic effort to transform a generation.
But we need your help to do it. The math is simple. Every $13 monthly commitment we receive can cover the full costs of a participant in our program. Join the movement today!
To make a gift online, please click here to donate and follow the directions on Canada Helps.
To make a gift by cheque or bank draft, please make it payable to Tostan Canada and mail it to:
2065 Pitt Street
All gifts made in Canada go directly to Tostan and receive a Canadian tax receipt.
Tostan Canada is a registered Canadian Charitable Organization:
No. 84015 1807 RR0001
Generational Change in Three Years: Final Results
In October 2013, Tostan launched Generational Change in Three Years (GC3Y), a coordinated project to deliver Tostan’s Community Empowerment Program (CEP) to 150 villages in four countries at the same time. The successful campaign has created a foundation of community-led development, reducing violence against women and girls, and has contributed to the growing movement for the abandonment of child marriage and Female Genital Cutting (FGC) in West Africa. The final report of this three-year program highlights key achievements and outcomes attained by the 150 communities. Highlights include:
- From October 2013 to December 2016, 150 communities in Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Mali and Mauritania, implemented Tostan’s Community Empowerment Program (CEP)
- 9,647 community members participated directly and gained knowledge on human rights, problem solving, governance, hygiene, health, literacy, numeracy, use of the mobile phone and project management.
- All 150 communities, plus an additional 158 neighbouring communities publicly declared the abandonment of child marriage and female genital cutting
- Women who participated in the CEP emerged as community leaders, human rights activists, and role models, showing young girls and boys alike that they can succeed in leadership roles and work with men as equals.
- Community Management Committees (CMC’s) continued to lead improvement projects in their communities long after the program ended
On behalf of the tens of thousands of people that have been positively affected by the Generational Change in Three Years campaign, thank you to our donors and friends for your support and trust. We look forward to this next campaign, and will continue to provide updates and information about opportunities to become involved.
To read the full report, please click here.