Tostan Training Centre (TTC)
At the Tostan Training Center (TTC), Tostan hosts international training courses in English and French on its human rights-based approach to community-led development. Our education model has been consistently developed and updated in response to feedback from thousands of communities in West and East Africa over the past 28 years. Recognizing its proven positive effects for community-led development, an increasing number of community activists, members of local, national and international organizations and governments, as well as representatives from academia and the media expressed an interest in further information and training on the Tostan model. We developed a unique 10-day training that uses a participatory, learner-centered approach, drawing its strength from trainers with extensive experience implementing the Tostan Community Empowerment Program in rural Africa. Our training serves individuals and groups who share a commitment to human dignity, transformative learning, holistic empowerment, and collective action.
What to Expect
The Tostan 10-day course, “Promoting Community Wellbeing”, provides a comprehensive overview of Tostan’s non-formal, human rights-based education program which has been implemented in thousands of rural communities in West and East Africa over the past 28 years.
As a Participant in the Course You Will
- Be introduced to an overview of Tostan’s unique model
- Connect Tostan practices to relevant development theories, including social norm theory
- Experience key Tostan classes and visit at least two villages that have participated in the Tostan Community Empowerment Program (CEP)
- Explore monitoring & evaluation practices for a holistic, integrated program
- Interact and learn from other development activists.
The Tostan course runs for 10 full days and includes: participatory activities, group work, presentations and discussions on theoretical and practical content, village visits for exchanges with community leaders.
Profile of Course Participants
We welcome a maximum of 22 participants, including:
- Individuals working in programming and implementation or in a leadership position at a NGO (non-governmental organization)
- Trainers/teachers/influential leaders who are engaged in social and international development projects
- Representatives from government agencies in charge of local development programs
- Donors or staff of donor organizations who invest in community development.
For More Information
If you have additional questions about the training, or if you are interested in renting a space at the Tostan Training Center (as a development organization or group) please contact us at email@example.com.
“One of the most amazing things about this training was bringing together all these amazing individuals from a variety of backgrounds, with a variety of experience and being able to interact with everyone, and share each other’s knowledge and be able to learn from each other.” — Jennifer Artibello, One Village Partners, Sierra Leone
“The training was a great experience, a rare and critical opportunity to reflect and focus on doing community led empowerment programming authentically.” – Participant of the April 2018 Tostan Training Course in English
“The visit to the village was really inspiring. What I saw has really inspired me so much and I really believe in the Tostan model now. It is a bottom up approach. It focuses on the positive aspects of community. It was evident that Tostan respected and appreciated the values of the community; it invested in it. ” – Godfrey Okumu, Nyanza Initiative for Girls Education & Empowerment (NIGEE), Kenya